We recently shared our top 10 apps for homeschooling parents, but that doesn’t mean we’ve forgotten about homeschooled students. These 15 apps are some of the top-rated for learning at home, whether as a homeschooler, or just to keep kids engaged and learning after school. As you prepare your kids to head back to school, consider adding these apps to their mobile devices for some added fun and learning.
Math apps for homeschooling
1. Mathboard is an interactive math app for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and the web. A favorite of homeschooling families, Mathboard is a math practice app, but goes beyond standard math drills by encouraging students to solve problems, not just guess at answers. $4.99, but free trial versions are also available.
2. Geoboard is a virtual version of a popular math manipulative for elementary school students. Kids can use the app to explore shapes and learn about perimeter, area, angles, congruence, fractions, and more. Free for iOS and Windows.
3. Math Blaster HyperBlast 2 comes to us from the makers of the Math Blaster games that many of us grew up with. The updated app version makes practicing math fun as kids race through the game, solving math problems as they go. $4.99 in the Apple, Amazon, and Nook app stores, but free Lite versions are also available.
Language arts apps for homeschooling
4. Intro to Letters is an iOS app for young learners that uses the popular Montessori method of learning. Kids can learn to trace, read, write, and pronounce letter sounds and names from A-Z in this beautifully designed app. $4.99
5. Word Bingo is a highly-rated app for early readers. Four different engaging games help kids practice sight words and spelling, while progress reports show how kids are learning. Multiple user profiles and reading levels let several students use the app. iOS, $0.99
6. K12 Timed Reading Practice, a well-reviewed app from K12, is available for iOS and Android devices. The app includes engaging stories and is designed to help kids practice reading fluency and comprehension. $1.99
History and geography apps for homeschooling
7. Knowledge Quest‘s series of apps are designed to teach history and geography to homeschooled students. Some of the apps for Apple and Android tablets include interactive timelines and maps, a timeline builder, and interactive history games and quizzes. $1.99 and up.
8. Shake the States is another top reviewed app for homeschooling. Available for iPhone and iPad, this fun geography puzzle app challenges kids to place each US state in the correct spot on the map. $1.99
9. World History for Kids takes students on a journey through the history of mankind, from the beginning of the Earth to the moon landing. The brightly colored, animated app is intended for kids 6 and up, and is available for iPad, Kindle Fire, and Android devices. $4.99
Science apps for homeschooling
10. SimplePhysics is a realistic physics simulator game in which students can design and build their creations, then test them under simulated stress and strain to see if they can withstand it. Other apps from the developer that are worth a look offer even more fun with physics, including building bridges and rockets. $1.99 for iOS, Android, and Windows
11. Pocket Universe helps kids learn about constellations, stars, planets and more. Students can explore the solar system, take a virtual tour of the planets, and test their knowledge of astronomy with games and quizzes. iOS, $2.99
12. Frog Dissection is an alternative to real animal dissections that’s just as educational. Students can explore anatomy via the 3d views in the app and learn about organ function and other biology concepts. The interactive app is available for Apple devices, Mac, and Windows computers. $2.99 and up
Other favorite homeschool apps
13. Handwriting Without Tears is a favorite offline program of many homeschoolers for teaching penmanship, and now there’s an app version too. In this app for iPad, kids get the same fun instruction in forming uppercase and lowercase numbers and letters. $6.99
14. Smash Your Food is an engaging iOS app for learning about health and nutrition. Kids smash different foods, like burgers, soda, and pizza, and learn how much sugar, salt, and fat are in each. Kids can unlock more foods and learn about making healthier food choices. $2.99
15. Kinderbach is a music education app that’s popular with music teachers and homeschoolers. Engaging video lessons and games teach kids the basics of playing the piano in a fun and educational format. Trial version available for free on iPhone or iPad
What are your favorite apps for homeschooling? Share your picks in the comments below.