Imagine walking up to a high-rise building in the city, ready to pitch creative marketing ideas, lead a meeting, or oversee a global strategy. These are all examples of tasks you could eventually do when you earn a college degree in a business-related field. You’ll have a wide range of industries to choose from, including management, entrepreneurship, marketing, finance, and accounting.
Programs and classes will vary from college to college, but here are some common majors in business for you to explore that can lead to exciting career opportunities:
- Business administration: In this major, you’ll learn all about the principles and practices of management, including organizational behavior, human resources, operations, and strategic planning.
- Accounting: As an accounting student, you’ll study financial reporting, auditing, taxation, and other aspects of financial management. You could also choose to become a certified public accountant (CPA) with experience and certification, which will expand your career options.
- Finance: Learn about financial analysis, investments, risk management, and other areas of financial management in this college major. Education and experience can help you go into several exciting careers, including becoming a financial analyst or financial advisor.
- Marketing: In a marketing major, you’ll explore consumer behavior, market research, advertising, and marketing management. A market research analyst or marketing manager are just a couple of the roles you could eventually fill with a degree in this major.
- International Business: As an international business student, you’ll learn about the global marketplace, including international trade, finance, and cultural differences. With education and experience, you can work as a trade expert, foreign service officer, import/export manager, or global operations manager, among other career opportunities.
- Entrepreneurship: Learn how to start and grow your own businesses, including planning, financing, marketing, and operations. An entrepreneurial degree can help you to become a successful business owner or startup founder.
This is just a small sampling of the business majors and career opportunities that you can look into. Before choosing a degree program, take some time to research different majors, talk to a career counselor, and consider applying for an internship to get a sense of what path may be the best fit for you. No matter which major you choose, each provides the chance to move into an exciting and fulfilling career.
For more resources and information on preparing for college, visit the K12 College Prep Center.