In this science activity, find out how much each object weighs. Use the weights to balance the scales and find the mass.
[swf:https://www.learningliftoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2nd-Grade-Science-Balance-measures-mass.swf 750 475]
This interactive activity is embedded in our Second Grade Science 2 course.
Students perform experiments to develop skills of observation and analysis, and learn how scientists understand the world. They demonstrate how pulleys lift heavy objects, make a temporary magnet and test its strength, and analyze the parts of a flower. Students will explore topics such as:
- Metric System-liters and kilograms, and how scientists use them
- Force-motion and simple machines; physicist Isaac Newton
- Magnetism-magnetic poles and fields; how a compass works
- Sound-how sounds are made; inventor Alexander Graham Bell
- Human Body-cells; the digestive system
- Geology-layers of the earth; kinds of rocks; weathering; geologist Florence Bascom
- Life Cycles-plants and animals